The Truth Behind Toxic Over-the-Counter Lice Treatments

Super lice are becoming more and more resistant to over-the-counter treatments.  However, this isn’t the only reason it’s smart to avoid these remedies.  Popular over-the-counter remedies are toxic, full of chemicals, and frankly not safe to use. 

These treatments are designed to be used once, but now that lice are adapting to the chemicals in these solutions, parents and caregivers are finding that they have to apply more than one treatment to their child’s head.  Nobody wants their child to suffer, but side effects associated with over-the-counter remedies can be severe.

Scalp irritation, including itching, swelling, or redness may occur with head lice and temporarily worsen after treatment with permethrin. Mild burning, stinging, tingling, or numbness may also occur.  More at

Unfortunately, measures are not currently being taken to remove toxic chemicals from lice removal treatments in the United States.  It is important to be informed about all types of treatment options.  Peremethrin is not the only pesticide in these treatments that can pose a threat to people.   

One of the biggest worries for some health experts is a prescription treatment for head lice and scabies called lindane. The pesticide has been targeted for worldwide phase-out since 2009 by the Stockholm Convention, a global treaty that targets some of the world’s deadliest toxins. The U.S. has not ratified the treaty, and has no imminent plans to ban lindane for head lice.  Via

Natural treatments, made from non-toxic ingredients are effective at killing and removing head lice without harming the person receiving treatments.  Treatments made using natural oils, non-toxic ingredients and enzymes are effective the first time at eradicating lice.  This option is safe for people of all ages and is a gentle and mild option especially when compared to over-the-counter remedies that just don’t work. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *